Just because you live off-campus doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy all the opportunities and services that you did when you lived on!
Stay Connected!Stay active in student organizations and participate in student activities!
- Your leadership is needed and appreciated. Upper class students who live off campus have a wealth of experience and ideas. Your contributions need not stop just because you no longer live on campus.
Purchase a Commuter Meal Plan and eat in the Dining Center periodically!
- Stop by the Dining Services Office (lower level of Hicks, 269.337.7370) to add money to your account. This is a great way to get caught up with friends and what’s happening on campus. Yes, cooking for yourself can be fun, but sometimes life just gets too busy, and it is nice to leave it to someone else.
Have a car?
- You will need a parking permit to park on campus. The Campus Safety office has information available about obtaining a parking permit and the parking spaces on campus designated for commuter permits.
Read your “K” e-mail account regularly!
- So much information goes out to the campus community through e-mail, and without reading your e-mail regularly, you might miss something important.
- For many people moving off campus for the first time, safety is a major concern. Safety tips from Campus Safety Director Tim Young.
Maintain good relationships with your landlord and roommates
- Report maintenance issues promptly
- Communicate concerns or complaints
- If you have many roommates, it might be helpful to schedule weekly or bi-weekly house meetings or gatherings.
- Should you have landlord-tenant conflicts or roommate conflicts that cannot be resolved though communication, dispute resolution services are available through Gryphon Place in Kalamazoo for a small fee. They can be contacted at (269) 381-1510.
- The Kalamazoo Public Library Law Library (269.553.7920, located downtown at 315 S. Rose). At the Law Library you can access specific materials on tenant’s rights and resolving conflicts, speak to an attorney and attend workshops