News from Student Development
- K CARE TeamThe K CARE Team is a collaborative, multidisciplinary group that works together to identify, assess, and support community members who […]
- Poster Sale – Sept. 25 & 26Stop by the poster sale this week for a great selection of posters. On the Quad September 25 & 26, […]
- Collecting topics or focus areas for Toilet TalksWe’re planning for next year’s edition for Toilet Talks! Toilet Talks are newsletters place inside bathroom stalls discussing topics on […]
Subscribe to get Stu Dev News delivered to your inbox
Welcome to the Division of Student Development!
The work of Student Development is to prepare Kalamazoo College graduates to better understand, live successfully within, and provide enlightened leadership to a richly diverse and increasingly complex world. Our goal is to provide the most powerful educational experience possible for Kalamazoo College students. This means that we:
- attend to students’ basic needs,
- help create the conditions for a challenging, engaging, and supportive out-of-class experience for students,
- are supportive partners to faculty and staff colleagues,
- and work with parents as appropriate.
Our constituent offices carry out distinct functions, and share a common purpose and commitment to our role.
The Division of Student Development includes Campus Dining, Chapel/Religious and Spiritual Life, Counseling, Disability Services, First-Year Experience, LandSea, Intercultural Student Life, Residential Life, Campus Safety, Student Conduct, Student Health Center, Student Involvement, and the Vice President for Student Development and Dean of Students.
Our work is a blend of routine administrative processes, program planning, work and consultation with a variety of student entities, unique problem-solving with students and families, consultation with campus colleagues, constant “educational moments,” and creative fun.
I hope that you will view the Division of Student Development as a starting place with any questions or concerns you might have. We are here to help.
J. Malcolm Smith
Vice President for Student Development and Dean of Students