News from Student Development
- Trick or Treat with Student DevelopmentCome hang with the gnomies and grab a piece of candy today for Halloween!
- The Student Development S.A.D. Lamp!When the seasons change, so can your feelings. As the temperature changes and daylight shifts, you may find yourself feeling … Read more
- K CARE TeamThe K CARE Team is a collaborative, multidisciplinary group that works together to identify, assess, and support community members who … Read more
Subscribe to get Stu Dev News delivered to your inbox
Welcome to the Division of Student Development!
The work of Student Development is to prepare Kalamazoo College graduates to better understand, live successfully within, and provide enlightened leadership to a richly diverse and increasingly complex world. Our goal is to provide the most powerful educational experience possible for Kalamazoo College students. This means that we:
- attend to students’ basic needs,
- help create the conditions for a challenging, engaging, and supportive out-of-class experience for students,
- are supportive partners to faculty and staff colleagues,
- and work with parents as appropriate.
Our constituent offices carry out distinct functions, and share a common purpose and commitment to our role.
The Division of Student Development includes Campus Dining, Chapel/Religious and Spiritual Life, Counseling, Disability Services, First-Year Experience, LandSea, Intercultural Student Life, Residential Life, Campus Safety, Student Conduct, Student Health Center, Student Involvement, and the Vice President for Student Development and Dean of Students.
Our work is a blend of routine administrative processes, program planning, work and consultation with a variety of student entities, unique problem-solving with students and families, consultation with campus colleagues, constant “educational moments,” and creative fun.
I hope that you will view the Division of Student Development as a starting place with any questions or concerns you might have. We are here to help.
J. Malcolm Smith
Vice President for Student Development and Dean of Students