Skip to main content
Getting Started: Are you ready to live off campus?
- Do you fall under the College’s housing requirement or have you been granted permission to live off campus?
- Do you have a reliable mode of transportation to get to campus, or if not, do you feel comfortable walking or taking the bus?
- Are you prepared to pay monthly bills like rent, electricity, gas, water, cable, internet, cell phone bill, insurance, etc.?
- Are you prepared to buy and cook all of your own food?
- Are you ready for the responsibilities of living in an off-campus house or apartment?
Budget: When looking for a place to live, there’s more than just the price of rent to consider.
- How much can you realistically afford to pay each month on rent?
- What are your estimated costs for utilities (water, trash, electric, gas, cable, internet, etc.)?
- How much do you expect to pay on groceries and food each month?
- How much money do you spend each month on going out to eat, to the movies, or to socialize?
- Deal Breakers: What are your deal breakers – what qualities do you absolutely have to have in a place you are living?
Deal Breakers: What are your deal breakers – what qualities do you absolutely have to have in a place you are living?
- How far are you willing to walk? Does it matter to you how long it takes you to get there?
- Do you want a pet?
- Do you want your own bedroom or bathroom?
- How important to you is it that your house/apartment is safe?
- Do you want to live in a neighborhood that is all students?
- How close do you want to be to grocery stores, restaurants, etc.?
Amenities: What amenities would you like in the place you are living?
- Air conditioning
- Covered parking
- Fitness center
- Free internet
- Furnished or unfurnished
Roommates: How many roommates do you want?
- Does everyone agree on budget and search criteria?
- Do you care if a roommate is a smoker?
- Do you care if a roommate has overnight guests?
- Do you care if a roommate has as parties in your home?
- Do you plan to split the cost for bills, groceries, cleaning supplies, etc.?